When it comes to fencing, you have different options to choose from. However, when it comes to fence gates, you will be spoilt for choice. There are different types of fence gates available on the market. So, choosing the ideal one can be a task at hand.
First, you must decide where you would like to install the gate on your property. Will it function as a driveway gate or as a garden gate? What’s your top-most priority? Style, function, or security?
These are some parameters you should consider to decide whether you should go for a vinyl fence gate, a wooden fence gate, or some other fence materials.
For example, if you are looking for a garden gate, you might focus more on aesthetics than functionality. After all, a well-designed gate is in itself a feature in a garden. However, if you are looking for a driveway gate, then security might be your top-most concern.
But why would we really need a fence gate?
A fence gate is typically a sliding, hinged, or rolling barrier installed in a wall or a straight section of a fence. This secures an opening in the fencing and allows access to your property’s interiors. In addition, gates offer ingress and egress capability, thereby controlling the flow of pets and people into or out of any property.
If your pets or children regularly play in your yard, then a fence gate might be paramount for enhancing security. Remember that a gate is not just about functionality but goes a long way in boosting the aesthetic appeal as well.
The different types of fence gates
You can choose from various types of fences when erecting a fence around your property. You should choose a type of fence gate that best compliments your property. A quick search online would reveal different fence gate options. So, you can easily find one that fits your budget and suits your taste in the best way possible. Here, we have mentioned the most common types of fence gates available on the market:
- Swing Gates: Unlike sliding gates that slide back and forth along tracks fastened to the walls or cemented in the ground, swing gates are designed to function on hinges up to 90 degrees.
- Sliding Gates: If you don’t have enough space for the effective functioning of swing gates, you can go for sliding gates.
- Panel Gates: These gates have vertical steel, iron, or timber panels. These gates can be opened both inwards and outwards.
- Rail Gates: This type of gate has horizontal rails that run along their length right at the frame’s top edge. They are typically made from metal or wood and are available in different designs and styles.
- Lift Gates: Lift gates are usually found in driveways where it might not be possible to install a full-sized gate. These gates are typically made of steel or aluminum and come with automated controls to open when someone approaches them automatically.
Things to consider while choosing a fence gate
- Purpose: There are quite a number of factors you should consider before investing a fence gate on your property. What’s the primary purpose the gate needs to serve? Is it meant to ensure top-notch security or to enhance the property’s aesthetic appeal?
- Gate material: Fence gates are typically made from metal or wood. However, they can be made from any material that best serves its purpose. The most common materials used in construction are:- vinyl, aluminum, steel, chain link, and wood fencing materials. In addition, the gates can be made with any material that will cater to the required specifications for appearance and durability.
Fence gates are available in different materials. Each has its own set of advantages and drawbacks. So, you should clearly know the inherent characteristics of the different materials before shortlisting one over another. Here are some of the most common fence gate materials:
- Wood fence gates: There was a time when wooden fences were one of the most popular choices for homeowners. However, its failure to resist water and thus rotting over time led to its downfall. Despite being cheaper than other materials, wooden fences failed to captivate the limelight.
- Vinyl fence gates: A vinyl fence gate sports exceptional durability and is aesthetically appealing as well. The gates are designed to complement any architectural style or design style. In addition, this is one of the cheapest fencing options available on the market. So, if you are tight on budget but still want an exquisite fence around your property, it goes without saying that vinyl fence gates are the way to go.
- Chain Link Gates: These gates are designed to offer top-notch security while being aesthetically pleasing as well. They look enchanting without sacrificing security features or functionality, thereby making them an ideal proposition for commercial properties. However, vinyl fencing gates are undoubtedly more secure and strong.
- Space: Space is the next big thing to consider before installing a gate. What should be the width of the gate? What should be the height of the fencing gate? These are some questions worth considering. You can ask the experts to customize the gates as per requirements.
If you are still in the dark regarding which fence type you should choose, come to any reputed vinyl fence manufacturer in the US, and they will guide you to choose a vinyl fence gate that caters to your needs and preferences and also fits your budget. Investing vinyl fencing gates would ensure complete peace of mind while enhancing your property’s aesthetic appeal as well. Get one today!